Sunday, January 6, 2008

GUITAR ELECTRICS - WHY SHOULD I LEARN TO SOLDER?


When i first started playing guitar i didn't even think about opening the covers on the back of my guitar, its not my business, i don't know what it is what it does, wouldn't know what to do with it .

After spending nearly £100 getting a tech to sort out all my wiring, two scratchy pots and a jack upgrade i finally realised how much it cost me for being lazy so i decided to learn to solder.

This opened up a whole new world for me , scratchy pot ten minutes with the iron sorted, pickup change no problem , haven't looked back since so here's what i found out before having a go it just takes a little practise and you'll get it.

THE BASIC TOOLS

One half decent soldering iron 30-45w
Rosin core solder
Sponge
needle-nose pliers
wire cutters
wire strippers
solder sucker

I managed to get all my gear for around £30 and this lot will keep me going for a couple of years!!

THE BASIC TECHNIQUE

1- PLUG SOLDERING IRON IN WAIT 2-5 MINUTES TO HEAT UP
2- "TIN" THE END OF YOUR IRON ( MELT SOLDER ONTO TIP )
3- WIPES TIP IN THE DAMP SPONGE
4- "TIN" THE END OF THE CABLE OR THE LUG OF POT OR JACK
5- HOLD THE WIRE ON THE COMPONENT
6- APPLY HEAT AND SOLDER TO THE JOINT
7- REMOVE IRON AND ALLOW TO COOL
8- TEST JOINT

THERE ARE PLENTY OF ONLINE ARTICLES COVERING SOLDERING I SUGGEST READING THEM ALL AND WITH A BIT OF PRACTISE YOU'LL NOW REPAIR YOUR CABLES ,REWIRE YOUR GUITAR AND CHANGE YOUR PICKUPS. OH AND SAVE MONEY TO SPEND ON MORE GEAR HAPPY DAYS

No comments: