Thursday, December 27, 2007

THE GREAT PAF PICKUP


PAF-patent applied for pickups

In my opinion humbucker pickups sound fantastic. When it comes to blues and rock an amazing amount of legendary tones
were created using a paf equipped gibson with almost no help apart from a really loud amp. Just plug in and play anything
from weeping leads to heavy walls of riff all via the same simple machine.
The biggest part of this tone comes from the pickups and the clever manipulation of the controls on the guitar allowing artists to dial in tones, finding sweet spots with volume and tone knobs.
Without the pickups we have very little in the way of sound and the pafs were a brilliant new design which cancelled out all the previous problems with 60-cycle hum, enabling guitarists to turn their rig up a couple more notches and find those magical tones I hear in my head and hope to find when I come to play those well rehearsed riffs I love so much.

So how much of this paf stuff is the real deal? How much does it contribute to my tone? Can I only dial it in on an original paf?

Will nothing else do?

Does a reproduction paf made in almost exactly the same manner even come close?
is it even possible?

I am going to find out what makes it a paf, whether there are any alternatives and try and find out why I should pay £1000 for a set of second-hand pickups without hearing them, in the hope they turn out to be alright?

No comments: