Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Reason for my vintage guitar blog

Although I have only been playing guitar for a total of probably 3 years I have found myself sucked into a world which I've personally found all encompassing.

 I can't get enough, it's been constant struggle not to spend all my money and time tracking down rare and desirable guitars, amps and pedals only to find I couldn't afford them even if I sold both of my kidneys.
All was lost, or so I thought until one day I sat down and realised that I can still hit the same tone and dynamics of my favorite artists whilst fiddling around with my basic setup, none of which is vintage, rare or expensive.
So why am I still chasing vintage gear if I can get the sound I want from other gear?????????
Well its like that jumper you should throw out, covered in crap, broken, worn in and so comfortable that you have to put it on because nothing else feels that good. Its all about the feel the vibe you get.
Vintage guitars were made in another time, another world far more exciting than this one, musical genres were being developed and invented, boundaries were being pushed. This gear was part of a revolution and with the simplest tools basic setups pushed to their limits.
Well that's why I like vintage gear, it's all about the feel and the simplicity and that's the reason for my blog.
Getting back to basics, stripping vintage gear back to its bones and trying to discover why and how it does what it does and finding affordable ways to get the same results which I know are possible.

 
 

4 comments:

ChicagoMusicExchange said...

Hey.... If you have the chance.... check out our collection of Vintage Guitars.

Guitar Hunter said...

You have Guitar Aquisition Syndrome, welcome to the club!

Unknown said...

Hey man, I enjoyed reading your post and I agree 100% with it.

Listen, My name is Sagi Eiland, founder of Tonepedia.com

Tonepedia is a community website for electric guitars with a special focus on sound clips and gear.
We are having a contest and first prize winner will receive a vintage original Ibanez TS-808 (not a reissue) overdrive pedal !!!
I thought you would be interested to know(I know I would :-). Check it out here:

http://tonepedia.com/?page=main&post=35

you are welcome to visit our site and to take part.
We will be very happy if you help us spread the word.
Keep on rockin'
Sagi

Anonymous said...

Now you know what it's like when they say buying vintage guitars is like "feeding the monster" - www.vintagegear.com