Saturday, December 29, 2007

HISTORY OF THE PAF - RECIPE FOR A PAF PICKUP


So what makes a paf pickup what it is?

There are many online arguments regarding the subject but I'm only interested in the sound of a vintage paf,
so here's my take on what's needed to replicate the sound of a paf for about four grand less.

Well there's the basic components plus the variables from the manufacturing techniques of the fifties that give each paf its unique voice, so lets start with the basics the raw materials.


COVER-NICKEL SILVER
SLUG COIL POLEPIECES-NICKEL PLATED SOFT IRON
ADJUSTABLE COIL POLEPIECES-NICKEL PLATED SOFT IRON
BOBBINS-BUTYRATE PLASTIC
COILS WOUND WITH-#42 AWG PLAIN ENAMEL WIRE
SPACER-MAPLE
POLE PIECE HOLDER/KEEPER-COLD DRAWN STEEL
ALNICO MAGNET- II/III/IV/V
BASE PLATE-NICKEL SILVER
HOOKUP WIRE-PUSHBACK 2 CONDUCTOR
NOT WAX POTTED

So that's the basic materials covered, so these are the materials I am looking for in my PAF PICKUPS.
Which magnets do I have? Well I don't know yet, more on that later.

No comments: